Evermay

In the heart of Georgetown, one of Washington D.C.'s oldest communities, the historic Evermay estate provides a rare glimpse of the elegance and beauty that once graced the Nation’s Capital. The Federal-style home was built in 1801 for Samuel Davidson, a prominent 18th century businessman and landowner. It was designed by architect Nicholas King, the first surveyor of Washington, D.C., and founder of the city's first library. The interior was renovated in 1818. A porch was added in 1877, by Henry Hayes Lockwood, and John D. McPherson.


Diplomat F. Lammot Belin and his wife bought the property on November 28, 1923. As part of extensive renovations and enlargements, he removed Victorian elements at the house to restore its Georgian simplicity. He owned the property until his death in 1961, when it was inherited by his son, Peter Belin. 


Dr. Sachiko Kuno and Dr. Ryuji Ueno, bought it for $22 million, in 2011. The couple also own another historic Georgetown mansion Halcyon House.
Evermay was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and is a contributing property to the Georgetown Historic District, a National Historic Landmark.
 

Please reload

Featured Posts


Between 1865 and 1867 Charles Gessford and Stephen Flanagan partnered in building 16 attached row houses on 11th Street, SE (132-144 Eleventh Street,...

Philadelphia Row on Capitol Hill

December 18, 2017

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts

January 26, 2020

September 12, 2018

Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2020 N&M House Detectives: Unlocking History, Washington, DC

nmhousedetectives@gmail.com

All rights reserved

  • Facebook Clean