New Article on N&M House Detective
Check out the September edition of the Hill Rag to read an article on N&M House Detectives: Unlocking History. #article #press #media
Carolina Theatre 1913 - 1952
Carolina Theatre 1913 - 1952 The Carolina Theatre opened in 1913. It was a one storybrick building which contained a store and theatre and was operated by Samuel & Herman Robbin. It was designed by B. F. Meyers with a seating capacity of 280 and a main entrance on North Carolina Avenue. The theatre was redesigned by William S. Plager in 1919 with the main entrance facing Eleventh Street and an enlarged seating capacity of 320. The Carolina Theatre closed in 1952 and was demo
Who Was William Prout?
Prout was one of the 19 landowners who signed the 1791 agreement with President George Washington to convey portions of their land to the United States government to create a permanent seat of government. William Prout is a very important person in DC history and made decisions that influence our lives today. Prout, who owned hundreds of acres east of the Capitol, was involved with Washington’s City’s first tavern and hotel and helped obtain a key public market (Eastern Marke
Old Capitol Prison
The site of the Civil War prison at 1st and A Streets, NE which is now the site of the Supreme Court has an interesting history. It was originally acquired from the Carroll family to accommodate the U.S. Capitol. Located at 1st and A Streets NE in Washington, D.C., on the eastern slope of Capitol Hill, the site's first building was a red brick tavern and hostel called Stelle's Hotel, built around 1800. It was part of a neighborhood of rooming houses catering to the U.S. C